Sunday, December 13, 2009

Barbie at the Children's Museum


Recently I discovered that on December 19th, the new Barbie exhibit will open at the Children's Museum in Indianapolis and will run until February of 2011. The exhibit will feature an enormous collection of Barbies beginning in the early 1960s. Guests will also be able to design their own fashions for Barbie or Ken and "walk the runway." (I'm not entirely sure what this entails, but I do plan on visiting the exhibit to find out.) Barbie was actually revealed to the public on March 9, 1959 in New York at a toy fair, so her fiftieth anniversary was this past March. To celebrate, Mattel designer Robert Best created a golden fiftieth anniversary Barbie doll.
When I heard about the exhibit opening last month, the little child inside me grew ecstatic. Immediately I envisioned an entire room of bubble gum pink and hundreds of dolls on display. It is wonderful to see the transformations these dolls have made over the last fifty years. Their features have completely changed from when they were first unveiled. I grew up playing with them myself so my experience is different than my mom's of Barbie. I still have the majority of my dolls and their many outfits and accessories. I honestly am saving them for my little girls. I don't know that they would be worth anything, but the memories for me are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment