Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Canine Genealogy


I was traveling recently and decided to pick up a Sky Mall as suggested by Professor Mannheimer. I was browsing through and literally found a canine genealogy kit. It basically analyzes your dog's DNA and identifies the breeds it its ancestry. Once again I was amazed that such a product even exists. "It provides scientific confirmation of the physical characteristics, behavioral tendencies, personality traits, and potential health risks your mixed-breed dog has inherited." To test your dog's DNA you simply rub a cotton swab against the inside of its cheek and send it to a professional lab in a provided envelope. It takes up to three weeks to receive the certificate which lists your dog's ancestry and a detailed explanation of dominant characteristics. The cost: $59.95 not including shipping. I don't think I'm so interested in finding out my dog's ancestry, especially since he has so many breeds that I would spend sixty dollars to do so. I don't think of a dog's ancestry as significant. However, there are those people out there that might want to know this information and wouldn't mind spending sixty bucks to find out. I went to the website for this product and read some reviews. One customer said the kit did not cover their particular breed of dog and was dissatisfied. So apparently this kit doesn't even apply to all dogs. Another review was completely unhappy that their results were entirely inaccurate. Their advice and mine would be to just live in ignorant bliss and save your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment