Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sand Design

I took this photo of an exhibit at the Indiana State Fair this year inside the agriculture building called "Beef at the Beach: The Amazing Sand Cowstle." It was extremely detailed and there were a number of interesting facts posted on each side of the fence about the exhibit. I had never seen anything like it. One of the most interesting facts to me was that they began with a giant block of wet sand and built it from the top down. I assumed it would have been built the opposite way, from the bottom up.
Another interesting fact that I think directly ties with one of our lecture topics is the time it took to create this; it took approximately five days to sculpt this scene. I'm not certain how many individuals participated in creating it, but that is
quite a bit of time to invest in something that could easily be
destroyed. It also took 18 tons of sand to build the scene. It was stressed that in order
to keep the exhibit in tact, it should not be touched. If it remained untouched,
it could last for about two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment