Monday, September 7, 2009

Soda "POP" 9/7/09


Lately I've seen the new advertisements and billboards for Pepsi. One in particular that caught my attention right away was the ad reading "SODA POP" where the "o's" are replaced with the newer Pepsi logo. For me, this billboard was effective; I felt like it did really "pop." I started to think to myself why it did so, and when I began analyzing it I realized the background was bright pink. My initial opinion was that shade of pink, the blue, red, and the whites don't go together or seem like typical colors to pair, but they were completely effective at presenting the message and getting the intended reaction, at least for me. I think the pink is the main component that gives this message its energy (to make it "pop"), but maybe that's because I'm a female. I'd like to get a guy's opinion to see if gender has anything to do with the reaction. (Or maybe any bright color in the background would be sufficient at sending the message.) I also think the logo in place of the "o's" helps set the message out. In general though, I like that Pepsi inserts their logo for the letter "o" in newer advertisements such as "XOXO" "HOPE" and "Optimism" to name a few. It changes their whole appeal to the public.

2 comments:

  1. Yea I think your right about pink making it "pop", and I did notice it more. Buuut because I'm a guy I think I'm more turned away from the product now because it's pink. so pepsi wins one with the chicks but it doesn't make me want to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha well, I appreciate the honesty. I've also seen a similar advertisement with just the "pop" having a neon green background. Maybe that appeals to you (and other guys out there). And to be honest, I rarely drink soda, so I myself wasn't compelled to buy a Pepsi just from seeing this advertisement. I just found the design scheme effective. :)

    ReplyDelete